Kawasaki J300 - Service manual > Final Drive
WARNING Motorcycle operation with insufficient, deteriorated, or contaminated oil causes accelerated wear of the final and countershaft gears, and may result in seizure. Seizure can lock the rear wheel and skid the rear tire, with consequent loss of control.
Change the final gear case oil according to the periodic maintenance chart.
Final Gear Case Oil Change
- Warm up the oil by running the motorcycle so that the oil will pick up any sediment and drain easily. Stop the motorcycle and turn the ignition switch off.
- Place an oil pan beneath the final gear
WARNING Oil on tires can cause loss of traction and an accident resulting in serious injury or death. When draining or filling the final gear case, do not spill oil the tire or rim. Clean any oil that may spill with a high flash-point solvent.
- After the oil has completely drained out, install the drain bolt with a
Torque - Final Gear Case Oil Drain Bolt: 9.8 N*m (1.0 kgf*m, 87 in*lb)
- Fill the final gear case with the specified oil and quantity.
Final Gear Case Oil
Viscosity: SAE 90
0.23 L (0.24 US qt) at disassembly
0.21 L (0.22 US qt) at change
- Install the oil filler bolt.
Torque - Oil Filler Bolt: 9.8 N*m (1.0 kgf*m, 87 in*lb)
Drive Belt Wear Inspection Remove the left crankcase cover (see Left Crankcase Cover Removal in the Converter System chapter). Clean the drive belt [A] and pulley faces. Inspect the drive belt for cracks or wear.