BMW C400GT - Rider's Manual > Safety information
Do not ride without the correct clothing:
- Rider's suit
This applies even to short journeys, and to every season of the year. Your authorized BMW Motorrad retailer will be happy to advise you and has the correct clothing for every purpose.
WARNING Reduced riding stability caused by overloading and uneven loading
- Do not exceed the gross weight limit and observe the loading information.
- Adjust the spring preload settings to the gross vehicle weight.
- Comply with maximum payload of luggage rack.
- Observe the maximum payload of the topcase.
If you ride at high speeds, always bear in mind that marginal conditions such as the following can adversely affect the handling of the Scooter:
- Spring system setting
- Unevenly distributed load
- Loose clothing
- Insufficient tire inflation pressure
- Tire tread in poor condition
Risk of poisoning
Exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide, which is colorless and odorless but highly toxic.
WARNING Harmful exhaust gas
Danger of suffocation
- Do not inhale exhaust fumes.
- Do not run the engine in closed rooms.
CAUTION Intense heating up of engine and exhaust system while riding
- After parking the motorcycle, make sure that no persons or objects come into contact with the engine and exhaust system.
There is a danger of overheating and damage if misfiring causes unburned fuel to enter the catalytic converter.
For this reason, observe the following points:
- Do not run the fuel tank dry.
- Engine has not been operated in the engine speed limit range for a longer period.
- Stop the engine immediately if it misfires.
- Use unleaded fuel only.
- Comply with all specified maintenance intervals.
ATTENTION Unburned fuel in the catalytic converter
Damage to catalytic converter
- Note the points listed for protection of the catalytic converter.
Danger of overheating
ATTENTION Engine idling for a lengthy period while at a standstill
Overheating due to insufficient cooling; in extreme cases vehicle fire
- Do not allow the engine to idle unnecessarily.
- After starting, ride off immediately.
ATTENTION Manipulations on the Scooter (e.g. engine control unit, throttle valves, clutch)
Damage to the affected parts, failure of safety-relevant functions.
Damage resulting from manipulations is not covered by the warranty.
- Do not make any modifications.
- Use the following checklist to check your motorcycle at regular intervals.
Before every journey:
- Check operation of the brake system.
- Check operation of the lighting and signal system.
- Check tire tread depth.
- Check secure hold of Topcase and luggage.
At every third refueling stop:
- Adjusting the spring preload on the rear wheel.
- Checking the engine oil level.
- Checking the front brake pad thickness.
- Checking the rear brake pad thickness.
- Checking brake fluid level of the front wheel brake.
- Checking brake fluid level in rear wheel brake.
- Checking the coolant level.
Starting engine Switch on the ignition. Pre-Ride-Check is carried out. ABS self-diagnosis is performed. ASC self-diagnosis is performed. Apply the brake.