Kawasaki J300 - Service manual > Brake Disc
Brake Disc Removal
- Remove the wheels (see Front/Rear Wheel Removal in the Wheels/Tires chapter).
- Remove the brake disc mounting bolts [A], and take off the disc [B].
- Remove the wheel rotation sensor (speed sensor) rotor [C].
- For rear wheel, the rear brake disc has the wheel rotation sensor only on ABS model.
Brake Disc Installation
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Apply a non-permanent locking agent to the threads of the brake disc mounting bolts.
Torque - Brake Disc Mounting Bolts: 34 N*m (3.5 kgf*m, 25 ft*lb)
Brake Disc Wear Inspection
- Measure the thickness of each disc [A] at the point where it has worn
If the disc has worn past the service limit, replace it.
Measuring Area [B]
Brake Discs Thickness
Front 3.8 - 4.2 mm (0.15 - 0.17 in.)
Rear 5.0 mm (0.20 in.)
Front 3.0 mm (0.12 in.)
Rear 4.0 mm (0.16 in.)
Brake Disc Warp Inspection
- Raise the wheel off the ground with jack.
Special Tool - Jack: 57001-1238
- For front disc inspection, turn the handlebar fully to one side.
- Set up a dial gauge against the disc [A] as shown and measure disc
runout, while turning [B] the wheel by hand.
If runout exceeds the service limit, replace the disc.
Service Limit: TIR 0.4 mm (0.016 in.)
Master Cylinder Removal Remove: Rear View Mirror (see Rear View Mirror Removal in the Frame chapter) Upper Handlebar Cover (see Handlebar Cover Removal in the Frame chapter) Remove the brake hose banjo bolt [A] and remove the brake hose from the master cylinder. Disconnect the front brake light switch connectors [B]. Remove the clamp bolts [A], and take off the master cylinder as an assembly with the reservoir, brake lever and front brake light switch installed.
Brake Fluid Level Inspection Refer to the Brake Fluid Level Inspection in the Periodic Maintenance chapter. Brake Fluid Change Refer to the Brake Fluid Change in the Periodic Maintenance chapter.