BMW C400GT - Rider's Manual > General notes
The "Maintenance" chapter describes work involving the checking and replacement of wear parts that can be performed with a minimum of effort.
If special tightening torques are to be taken into account for assembly, these are listed. An overview of all required tightening torques is contained in the chapter "Technical Data".
Information on additional maintenance and repair procedures is provided in the repair manual for your vehicle on DVD, which you can obtain from your authorized BMW Motorrad retailer.
Special tools and thorough specialized knowledge are required to carry out some of the work described here. If you are in doubt, consult an authorized workshop, preferably your authorized BMW Motorrad retailer.
Standard tool kit
- Hook wrench
- Adjusting the spring preload on the rear wheel.
- Reversible screwdriver insert
Phillips PH1 and Torx T25
- Remove body panels.
- Remove battery cover.
- Replacing the light source for the rear turn signal.
- Open-ended wrench
Wrench size: 10/16 mm
- Removing battery.
- Open-ended wrench
Wrench size: 14
- Release/fasten the mirror.
Front wheel stand
Mount front wheel stand
The base stand and its accessories are available through your authorized BMW Motorrad retailer.
- Place the Scooter on its center stand, ensuring that the ground is level and firm.
- Use basic stand with front wheel mount.
- Install the spacer buffers 1 on the left and right in the positions shown.
- Release the mounting bolts 2 on the left and right.
- Push the mounts 3 on the left and right outward, continuing until the front suspension fits between them.
- Use retaining pins 4 on the left and right to set the front wheel stand to the desired height.
- Center front wheel stand relative to front wheel and push it against front axle.
- Align the mounts 3 on the left and right so that front suspension rests securely on them.
- Tighten the mounting bolts 2 on the left and right.
ATTENTION Lifting-off of the center stand if the vehicle is raised too high
Component damage cause by tipping over
- When raising the motorcycle, make sure that the center stand remains on the ground.
- Adjust the height of the front wheel stand if necessary.
- Apply uniform pressure to push front wheel stand down and raise the Scooter.
- Ensure that Scooter is standing securely.
Checking the engine oil level ATTENTION Misinterpretation of the oil filling quantity, as the oil level is temperature-dependent (the higher the temperature, the higher the oil level)