Kawasaki J300 - Service manual > Electric Starter System
Starter Motor Removal
Storage Box (see Storage Box Removal in the Frame chapter)
Air Cleaner Box (see Air Cleaner Box Removal in the Fuel System (DFI) chapter)
- Slide the rubber cap [A].
- Remove the starter motor cable terminal nut [B].
- Remove the starter motor mounting bolts [C] and engine ground terminal [D].
- Remove the starter motor [E].
Starter Motor Installation
NOTICE Do not tap the starter motor shaft or body. Tapping the shaft or body could damage the motor.
- Clean the starter motor leg [A] and engine ground terminal [B].
- Replace the O-ring [A] with a new one.
- Apply grease to the new O-ring.
- Install the starter motor.
- Tighten the starter motor mounting bolts together with the engine ground
Torque - Starter Motor Mounting Bolts: 9.8 N*m (1.0 kgf*m, 87 in*lb)
- Install the starter motor cable and tighten the starter motor cable terminal nut.
- Slide back the rubber cap to the original position [A].
- Install the removed parts (see appropriate chapters).
Starter Motor Inspection
- Turn the engine stop switch to run position.
- Turn the ignition switch on and push the starter button.
If the starter motor does not turn, check the following.
Charging/ECU Fuse 30 A (see Fuse Inspection) Ignition Fuse 10 A (see Fuse Inspection) Battery Condition (see Charging Condition Inspection) Starter Relays (see Starter Relay Inspection) Side Stand Switch (see Side Stand Switch Inspection) Ignition Switch (see Wiring Diagram) Right Switch Housing (see Wiring Diagram) If no abnormality is found in these checks, replace the starter motor.
- The starter motor cannot be disassembled. If necessary, replace the starter motor as an assembly.
Starter Relay Inspection
- Remove the rear fairing (see Rear Fairing Removal in the Frame chapter).
- Remove the band [A], and slide the dust cover [B].
- Disconnect the connector [C].
Starter Relay Terminal Nuts [A]
Starter Relay 2 [B]
- Connect a tester [A] and 12 V battery [B] to the starter relay [C] as
If the relay does not work as specified, the relay is defective.
Replace the relay.
When battery is connected → about 0 Ω
When battery is disconnected → ∞ Ω
- For inspection of the starter relay 1, refer to the Relay Inspection.
Electric Starter Circuit
- Rear Brake Light Switch
- Front Brake Light Switch
- Engine Stop Switch
- Starter Button
- Fuse Box
- Ignition Fuse 10 A
- Charging/ECU Fuse 30 A
- Ignition Switch
- Side Stand Switch
- Starter Relay 1
- Starter Relay 2
- Battery 12 V 10 Ah
- Starter Motor
- Engine Ground
- Frame Ground 1
WARNING The ignition system produces extremely high voltage. Do not touch the spark plug, ignition coil or ignition coil lead while the engine is running, or you could receive a severe electrical shock.
Headlight Aiming Inspection Refer to the Headlight Aiming Inspection in the Periodic Maintenance chapter. Headlight Bulb Replacement Remove: Front Fairing (see Front Fairing Removal in the Frame chapter) Dust Cover [A] Disconnect the headlight connector [A]. Release the hook [B]. Remove the headlight bulb.