Kawasaki J300 - Service manual > Engine Oil Change
- Warm up the engine thoroughly so that the oil will pick up any sediment and drain easily. Then stop the engine.
- Place an oil pan beneath the engine.
- Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick [A].
- Remove the engine oil drain bolt [A] from the bottom of the engine, and let the oil drain completely.
- Replace the drain bolt assy with a new one.
- Install the new drain bolt.
Torque - Engine Oil Drain Bolt: 25 N*m (2.5 kgf*m, 18 ft*lb)
- Pour in the specified type and amount of oil.
Recommended Engine Oil
Type: API SJ, SL or SM with JASO MA, MA1 or MA2
Viscosity: SAE 5W-50
1.3 L (1.4 US qt)
1.5 L (1.6 US qt) (when engine is completely dry)
- Do not add any chemical additive to the oil. Oils fulfilling the above requirements are fully formulated and provide adequate lubrication for both the engine and the clutch.
- Although 5W-50 engine oil is the recommended oil for most conditions, the oil viscosity may need to be changed to accommodate atmospheric conditions in your riding area.
- Check the oil level (see Oil Level Inspection in the Engine Lubrication System chapter).
- Replace the oil filler cap/dipstick O-ring with a new one.
- Apply grease to the O-ring.
- Tighten the oil filler cap/dipstick securely.
Oil Service Indicator Light Reset
- The yellow oil service indicator light (LED) [A] goes on for changing the engine oil when the distance of the service mode [B] reaches 5 000 km (3 107 mile). The yellow oil service indicator light (LED) goes off when the oil service mode is reset. Reset the oil service mode after changing the engine oil.
- It is not necessary to reset the oil service mode at the 1000 km initial maintenance of the oil change.
- Push the ADJ button [C] for 2 seconds to display the service mode.
- Push the Reset button [D] and hold it in. After 2 seconds, the yellow oil service indicator light (LED) goes off and the service mode display turns to 0.0.
Drain the engine oil (see Engine Oil Change). Remove: Oil Filter Cap [A] Oil Filter Replace the oil filter with a new one. Apply engine oil to the grommet [A]. Install the oil filter so that the grommet faces to the engine side. Replace the oil filter cap O-ring [A] with a new one. Apply grease to the O-ring and install it. Install the spring [B]. Install the oil filler cap and tighten it securely.