Kawasaki J300 - Service manual > Intake Manifold, Muffler
Intake Manifold Removal
Throttle Body Assy (see Throttle Body Assy Removal in the Fuel System (DFI) chapter)
Fuel Injector (see Fuel Injector Removal in the Fuel System (DFI) chapter)
- Disconnect the water temperature sensor connector [A].
- Clear the main harness from the clamp [B].
Intake Manifold Nuts [A]
Intake Manifold [B]
- If necessary, remove the insulator [A].
Intake Manifold Installation
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- When the insulator is removed, replace the gasket with a new one.
- Replace the O-ring [A] with a new one.
- Apply grease to the O-ring.
Torque - Intake Manifold Mounting Nuts: 9.8 N*m (1.0 kgf*m, 87 in*lb)
WARNING The muffler can become extremely hot during normal operation and cause severe burns. Do not remove the muffler while it is hot.
Muffler Body Removal
Bolts [A] and Washer
Muffler End Cover [B]
Bolts [A] and Washers
Muffler Side Cover [B]
- Loosen the muffler body clamp bolt [A].
Muffler Body Mounting Bolts [B]
Muffler Body [C]
Muffler Body Installation
- Replace the muffler body gasket with a new one.
- Install the muffler body and tighten the muffler body mounting bolts and
Torque - Muffler Body Mounting Bolts: 34 N*m (3.5 kgf*m, 25 ft*lb)
- Install the muffler body side cover and tighten the bolts together with the washers.
- Install the muffler end cover [A] and tighten its bolt together with the washers as shown specified sequence [1 - 3].
- Be sure that the gap [A] of the muffler end cover and the muffler side
cover is parallel.
If the gap is not parallel, reinstall the muffler end cover.
- Thoroughly warm up the engine, wait until the engine cools down, and then retighten all bolts.
Exhaust Pipe Removal
- Remove muffler body (see Muffler Body Removal).
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor lead connector (see Oxygen Sensor Removal in the Electrical System chapter).
Exhaust Pipe Manifold Holder Nuts [A]
Exhaust Pipe [B]
- If necessary, remove the exhaust pipe cover [A] by removing the bolts [B] and washers.
Exhaust Pipe Installation
- Replace the exhaust pipe gasket with a new one.
- Install the exhaust pipe.
Torque - Exhaust Pipe Manifold Holder Nuts: 20 N*m (2.0 kgf*m, 15 ft*lb)
- Install the removed parts (see appropriate chapters).
Check for uneven groove wear by inspecting the ring seating. The rings should fit perfectly parallel to groove surfaces. If not, replace the piston and all the piston rings. With the piston rings in their grooves, make several measurements with a thickness gauge [A] to determine piston ring/groove clearance.